Sunday, November 14, 2010

Getting started...

The best way to start a blog is at the beginning, so I will start by telling you how I got involved with breedables in Secondlife.  If you are unfamiliar with Secondlife, or Second Life, or SL, it's an online virtual world where you create an avatar. The avatars can be in human form or any other form you can create, find or buy from other residents in SL.  The currency is L$ (Lindens) and can be bought and sold for USD. Inside of SL, you can make, buy, sell, create, upload and download textures, make friends, communicate, live and, as to the point of this blog... raise breedables.

I say breedables and not breedable pets for a specific reason, some aren't what you'd consider to be pets, like breedable flowers for example.

I got my first taste of breedables in February of 2010 with the Ozimals bunnies. They are an 11 prim scripted "pet" that you have to feed and breed to produce "nests" which you then birth to get more bunnies.

I adopted a Secondlife child (real age 29, SL age 5 to 9 depending on what she feels like). She came into my life with some of the Ozimals bunnies. She gave one to me and told me to hold it. I attached it, wore it, and was able to "pet" it. I fell in love instantly.  This set me off on a path of owning several hundred of these creatures, creating hundreds of nests for me. Along the way I quickly realized that there was no pedigree system for them so I came up with slbreedablepets.com. Currently the only true pedigree registry and lineage tracker in SL.

At the time, only the Sion Chickens had seen any sort of popularity, but the Ozimals bunnies took SL by storm. Best estimates, at the height of their popularity, put approximately 3000 +/- breeders and over a million live bunnies on the grid. Not counting unbirthed nests.

I will get more into the Ozimals bunnies later on in this blog, but for now, that is how I started on my path to being entranced with and dedicated to virtual breedables in SL.

Upcoming posts will be reviews on various breedables I have encountered in Secondlife including Orchs, Scrabs, Ravens, Grouse, HB Bunnies (not to be confused with Ozimals bunnies), Lizards and more!

CREATORS:  If you have created a breedable in SL and you want it to be posted here, please contact Andromeda Felisimo inworld. I do not accept payment for posts but I'd prefer to be given a sample so I can test it myself and give a complete review. That said, I have purchased the starter kits and will designate which breedables I have purchased myself and which were given to me for review.

READERS:  I will, to the best of my ability, include any costs associated with each of the breedables I write about here so you can make an informed decision. As well, I will be openly honest about how I feel about each breedable. Good, bad or otherwise, it's your money you are spending and you deserve to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment